According to NBC’s Alex Seitz-Wald, Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.), former Rep. Steve Israel (D-N.Y.) and former Gov. Martin O’Malley (D-Md.) have withdrawn from consideration for the DNC chairman election.
Two names from the Obama administration have also surfaced: Vice President Joe Biden (who, according to a spokesman, declined interest in the position) and outgoing Labor Secretary Tom Perez. Keep in mind Perez was considered as a potential running mate by Hillary Clinton earlier this year, and NBC News also points out that he may opt to bide his time and run for governor of Maryland in 2018 against incumbent Republican Larry Hogan.
As of this morning, the candidates who are in the race or have expressed interest are:
- NH Democratic Party Chairman Raymond Buckley
- Former Gov. Howard Dean (D-Vt.)
- Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.)
- SC Democratic Party Chairman Jaime Harrison
- NARAL Pro-Choice America president Ilyse Hogue